Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I did some binge reading of an author I discovered I liked. There are still a few more of hers for me to read, but I am on a wait list at the library to read them...

All by Sarah M Eden, unless otherwise noted.

12: Friends and Foes: #1 in the Jonquil Brothers series. An excellent and fast paced read.
13: Drops of Gold: #2 in the same series. Fantastic! I laughed so hard at one point I had to put the book down. Then I was sobbing later.
14: Piano Tuning: A Simple and Accurate Method for Amateurs: NOT by Sarah M Eden wink but by J. Cree Fisher. I was given a piano and decided I would teach myself to tune it. This was a surprisingly interesting read with some very unique tidbits of information that apply almost anywhere. I haven't finished tuning the piano, but I did finish the book.
15: As You Are: #3 in the series. Not my favorite but good nonetheless.
16: A Fine Gentleman: #4 in the series. Pretty good. Drew some tears from me.
17: For Love or Honor: #5 in the series. Oh my! I think I cried for most of this book, sad tears, happy tears, lots of tears. Book 6 isn't out yet and I'm pretty sure there will be a 7 (because there are 7 brothers). frown
18: Glimmer of Hope: Not in a series, but one of the main characters appears in the Jonquil Brothers series. It takes place years before. And I didn't think I'd cry as hard as I did in the last one, but I did.
19: Seeking Persephone: #1 in the Lancaster Family series. Very good.
20: Courting Miss Lancaster: #2 in Lancaster Family. Also very good. Reminded me of another book I read a long time ago in plot, but I liked this one more.
21: A Night in Grosvenor Square: This was an anthology of novelas, but I only read the one by Sarah M Eden (the others couldn't hold my interest) and it was lovely.
22: The Rescue: by Lori Wick. This is the book that did all those things in that post by Terry. If you are in need of a book where everything goes right and nothing bad happens, this is the book for you. A fast read.
23: The Lost Letter: by Mimi Matthews (I'm still waiting for the next few books by Sarah M Eden to be available in the library wink) This was a fast read, shorter than an average novel, but well done, sort of a Beauty and the Beast story (as it claims in the description) but the only similarity I saw was that the guy had scars on his face...

scifiJoan reads a much more well rounded collection of books than I do...

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Originally Posted by JellyS2
scifiJoan reads a much more well rounded collection of books than I do...

That's only because I get lots of recommendations from my kids and I belong to two book clubs. smile

#34 Cinder: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

CINDER, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation.

Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth's future.

I love reworked fairy tales and this was lots of fun. I'm planning on reading the rest in this series.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#35 The Stressed Years of their Lives: Helping your kid survive and thrive during their college years by Janet Hibbs and Anthony Rostain

This book focused more on extreme issues so it wasn't as useful for general information.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#36 Beauty in the Broken Places: A Memoir of Love, Faith, and Resilienceby Allison Pataki

Five months pregnant, on a flight to their “babymoon,” Allison Pataki turned to her husband when he asked if his eye looked strange, and watched him suddenly lose consciousness. After an emergency landing, she discovered that Dave—a healthy thirty-year-old athlete and surgical resident—had suffered a rare and life-threatening stroke. Next thing Allison knew, she was sitting alone in the ER in Fargo, North Dakota, waiting to hear if her husband would survive the night.

For the most part this was an inspiring read, seeing how she coped with so many distressing life changing events, emotionally the story didn't go as deep as I thought it would. She seemed to gloss over the worst parts and those are the ones we can related to the most.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#37 Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue

Jende Jonga, a Cameroonian immigrant living in Harlem, has come to the United States to provide a better life for himself, his wife, Neni, and their six-year-old son. In the fall of 2007, Jende can hardly believe his luck when he lands a job as a chauffeur for Clark Edwards, a senior executive at Lehman Brothers. Clark’s wife, Cindy, even offers Neni temporary work at the Edwardses’ summer home in the Hamptons. With these opportunities, Jende and Neni can at last gain a foothold in America and imagine a brighter future.

When the financial world is rocked by the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the Jongas are desperate to keep Jende’s job—even as their marriage threatens to fall apart. As all four lives are dramatically upended, Jende and Neni are forced to make an impossible choice.

A more balanced approach than I usually see - showing that the rich and poor each have issues they struggle with.

#39 Normal People by Sally Rooney

This book wasn't what I thought it might be. While it described the relationship between a couple over time, I didn't see much growth.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#40 A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult

The warm fall day starts like any other at the Center—a women’s reproductive health services clinic—its staff offering care to anyone who passes through its doors. Then, in late morning, a desperate and distraught gunman bursts in and opens fire, taking all inside hostage.

After rushing to the scene, Hugh McElroy, a police hostage negotiator, sets up a perimeter and begins making a plan to communicate with the gunman. As his phone vibrates with incoming text messages he glances at it and, to his horror, finds out that his fifteen-year-old daughter, Wren, is inside the clinic.

I've read many books by this writer and this isn't one of my favorites. Although the author has successfully used varying time points in other books, telling the story in reverse order didn't enhance the story. She is good at addressing hot topics but this one came off a bit preachy.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#41 The Favorite Sister by Jessica Knoll

Brett and Kelly have always toed the line between supportive sisters and bitter rivals. Growing up, Brett was the problem child, in the shadow of the brilliant and beautiful Kelly. In adulthood, all that has changed. Kelly is a struggling single mother and Brett has skyrocketed to such meteoric success, which has been chronicled on a reality TV show called Goal Diggers.

When Kelly manipulates herself onto the show and into Brett’s world, Brett is right to be threatened. Kelly, and only Kelly, knows her younger sister's appalling secret, and it could ruin her.

Still, when the truth comes out in the explosive final weekend of filming, neither of them ever expected that the season would end in murder

First, I have to say that my taste in reality TV shows is HGTV and that's about it. I was reading a heavy political book and needed something light and this fit the bill. Kind of like a Lifetime movie - a real train wreck but entertaining to watch.

#42 Bullies: How the Left's Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences Americans by Ben Shapiro

While Ben had many good points, this was a depressing book to get through. At times he got as snarky as some of the 'bullies' he was writing about.

#43 Forget You Know Me by Jessica Strawser

When a video call between friends captures a shocking incident no one was supposed to see, the secrets it exposes threaten to change their lives forever.

Molly and Liza have always been enviably close. Even after Molly married Daniel, the couple considered Liza an honorary family member. But after Liza moved away, things grew more strained than anyone wanted to admit—in the friendship and the marriage.

When Daniel goes away on business, Molly and Liza plan to reconnect with a nice long video chat after the kids are in bed. But then Molly leaves the room to check on a crying child.

What Liza sees next will change everything.

Despite the opening, this was not a thriller. It focused on the friendship between the women. This felt more like a Lifetime movie than a realistic look at a friendship. (Such as, a woman suffering from chronic pain can suddenly run in a 4K?)

Last edited by scifiJoan; 07/30/19 11:19 AM.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#44 For Better or Worse by Margot Hunt

On their first date back in law school, Natalie and Will Clarke bonded over drinks, dinner and whether they could get away with murder. Now married, they’ll put the latter to the test when an unchecked danger in their community places their son in jeopardy. Working as a criminal defense attorney, Nat refuses to rely on the broken legal system to keep her family safe. She knows that if you want justice…you have to get it yourself.

Interesting fast paced thriller.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#45 Yesterday's Kin by Nancy Kress

Aliens have landed in New York.

A deadly cloud of spores has already infected and killed the inhabitants of two worlds. Now that plague is heading for Earth, and threatens humans and aliens alike. Can either species be trusted to find the cure?

I like Nancy Kress' earlier works. I hadn't seen anything by her in a while so I was excited to pick this one up. She always does a good job with credible science and creating intriguing situations. The characters seemed flat to me in this one. And the main concept feels a little dated. In fact, I just read a similar one by another scifi writer. I don't think I'll be reading more books in this series.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#46 The Psychology of Time Travel
by Kate Mascarenhas

In 1967, four female scientists worked together to build the world’s first time machine. But just as they are about to debut their creation, one of them suffers a breakdown, putting the whole project—and future of time travel—in jeopardy. To protect their invention, one member is exiled from the team—erasing her contributions from history.

A unique look at time travel and the impact on those undergoing it.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#47 Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis by Robert D. Putnam

Lots of excellent points showing the increasing divide in opportunities between the poor and upper middle class.

#48 Half of What You Hear by Kristyn Kusek Lewis

From well-loved women’s fiction writer Kristyn Kusek Lewis comes a breakout novel about a woman moving to a small community and uncovering the many secrets that hide behind closed doors—perfect for fans of Liane Moriarty and Elin Hilderbrand.

This got a little silly but it was a good light airplane read.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#49 The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney

In the tradition of The Girl on the Train, The Silent Wife, and Gone Girl comes an enthralling psychological thriller that spins one woman's seemingly good fortune and another woman's mysterious fate through a kaleidoscope of duplicity, death, and deception.

This book was not in the same league as those listed above. It was a fast read but not an especially good book.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#50 Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins

Emerson, Georgia, and Marley have been best friends ever since they met at a weight-loss camp as teens. When Emerson tragically passes away, she leaves one final wish for her best friends: to conquer the fears they still carry as adults.

Since this book deals with the issue of self image and weight, it got a lot of hate on Goodreads. I thought the author did a decent job with the idea that your life doesn't have to be hold until you lose the weight.

#51 Missing Molly by Natalie Barelli

Everyone has secrets, and Rachel Holloway is no exception. She’s worked hard to keep the past where it belongs: dead and buried. And so far, she’s been very successful.

But now the small newspaper where she works wants to produce a podcast on a cold case: the disappearance twelve years ago of little Molly Forster.
And she's Molly Forster.

This was an interesting concept. I was surprised this woman's secret didn't come out immediately, she acted so erratically.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 08/26/19 11:59 AM.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#52 The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberline

When Caroline Sears receives the news that her unborn baby girl has a heart defect, she is devastated. It is 1970 and there seems to be little that can be done. But her brother-in-law, Hunter, a physicist, tells her that perhaps there is. Something that will shatter every preconceived notion that Caroline has. Something that will require a kind of strength and courage that Caroline never knew existed. Something that will mean a mind-bending leap of faith on Caroline's part.

I've read other books by this author and have liked them. This is the first one I've read with more scifi/fantasy leanings. I liked it.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#53 Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

A celebrated writer's irresistible, candid, and eloquent account of her pursuit of worldly pleasure, spiritual devotion, and what she really wanted out of life.

I didn't care for this book. The author gave only surface accounts of life changing events. And her account for her search for spirituality lacked depth.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#54 Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart

From the author of the unforgettable New York Times bestseller We Were Liars comes a masterful new psychological suspense novel--the story of a young woman whose diabolical smarts are her ticket into a charmed life. But how many times can someone reinvent themselves? You be the judge.

This thriller was told in reverse. It worked well for this book. An engaging read.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#55 Ghosted by Rosie Walsh

When Sarah meets Eddie, they connect instantly and fall in love. To Sarah, it seems as though her life has finally begun. And it's mutual: It's as though Eddie has been waiting for her, too. Sarah has never been so certain of anything. So when Eddie leaves for a long-booked vacation and promises to call from the airport, she has no cause to doubt him. But he doesn't call.

When I read the jacket of this book, I was excited. I was expecting a thriller. This was a sappy cliched romance with unlikable, immature characters.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#56 Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

For years, rumors of the “Marsh Girl” have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life–until the unthinkable happens.

Interesting book though parts of it stretched credibility.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#57 The Hazards of Time Travel by Joyce Carol Oates

Time travel” — and its hazards—are made literal in this astonishing new novel in which a recklessly idealistic girl dares to test the perimeters of her tightly controlled (future) world and is punished by being sent back in time to a region of North America — “Wainscotia, Wisconsin”—that existed eighty years before. Cast adrift in time in this idyllic Midwestern town she is set upon a course of “rehabilitation”—but cannot resist falling in love with a fellow exile and questioning the constrains of the Wainscotia world with results that are both devastating and liberating.

Time travel with dystopian society. And a well established writer. So many things going for it. What could go wrong? This book was utter garbage in every aspect. The plot made no sense. The girl was an idiot. The love story was cringe worthy. What a waste of time.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#57 We were Liars by E. Lockhart

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

An engaging thriller with an interesting twist.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard