Wow! blush

I'm really touched that so many of you enjoyed this exploration into Martha's and Jonathan's outlooks on life.

Carol, Artemis, Rivka: Yes, I have heard the song "Sunrise, Sunset." I didn't have it in mind when I started writing, but once I'd chosen the title, I couldn't get it out of my head; it was a bit alarming to see how well it fitted! laugh So, Carol, if the song echoed in your head afterward, I don't think I mind too much. smile

But most importantly, at times, the two shared their moments with each other. Isn't that what it's all about?
Yes, Gerry, I'd say it is. smile

Regarding the subtlety, or vagueness, however you prefer it: I was actually surprised that there was anyone who did *not* realize it was Martha and Jonathan. Aside from the references to farmwork and Martha's incessant projects, there was this:
Perhaps in that time before one such star came down to bless us with the greatest gift of our lives, sunrise and sunset meant something different, something wistful and unhappy. It’s been nearly thirty years, after all, and it’s hard to psychoanalyze across the decades.
That is a very specific reference to M&J's childlessness before they found Clark, and it also specifically sets it at the time of the show. As Wendy observes, there's no need to patronize the reader and spell everything out, is there? I think that's a matter of personal choice, and I wouldn't change it just because two of the Merriweather judges couldn't figure it out. I *am* a bit confused about the Nightfall reference... dizzy

Nominate for a Kerth? In WAFFy? eek Don't you think the world might come to an end? wink

"A pot on the fire" is a very common reference to something cooking on the stove, LauraBF. I grew up with an electric stove, and my mother used the term constantly. Gas stoves are even more obvious, of course, as Pam points out.

All of you gave me such lovely compliments! Your imagery, I think, is better than mine. smile

So... Carol, Gerry, Artemis, Lynn, Wendy, Irene, LauraBF, Yvonne, Pam, Rivka, Tricia, Karla, CC, Jenni, and Emily -- thanks so much for your lovely FDK. You really made my day!

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827