Sorry I'm "late," Hazel. I'm seriously behind in my reading. I just wanted to drop by and say... well, actually, I think Gerry, Lynn, and the others have said everything I wanted to say, and better than I would have, too. So, mostly, this is just a "me too" post. Very beautiful. Great flow. Loved the imagery, and most of all, the feel of the story. It just carried me along.

Personally, I wasn't at all confused about who was speaking, but then, I'd seen the discussion before I read the story. I'd like to think it would have been clear, anyway. The narrator's voice had a very distinctively homey, motherly feel to it.

About the title... It immediately made me think of the song, and that personally made me a little wary. I've always thought of that song as fairly sad (actually, I have a memory of being told as a kid that it was a sad song). It is very apt, of course, dealing as it does with farm life and sunrise and sunset. It's just that the song has a different mood, I think. <shrug>

Anyway, lovely story. Thanks for sharing. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.