Originally posted by Artemis:
Great story and I'm enjoying it, but I'm confused about the "closer to the Earth's core" statement. The elevation of Rachel, NV is 4970 feet, higher than some mountains. For pictures, go here: http://www.rachel-nevada.com/ . Now I've always loved Area 51 stories and the description of the Extraterrestrial Highway was good, but maybe you'd like to explain more? Feel free to e-mail me and maybe I can help out.
regards
Artemis
I'm sure there's a scientific answer out there, but basically what I was insinuating was that it's a bit harder to build underground in that part of the country than it would be say in 'New Troy' or New York area. I have lived in a couple of different areas around the US: MidWest, North, Southwest, and while it certainly is possible to build basements anywhere, they usually don't do it in... Phoenix, for instance. The ground is very hard (rock essentially) and it takes special machinery, more days, and more money. Now, I haven't lived in Hiko, NV, so I apologize if I was mistaken and the ground around there is less of a barrier. smile

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles