The Crystal Demon: 14/?
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

The Chief turned, obviously dismissing Treena, and turned toward Julia. It was amazing, Alan thought, how a misunderstanding so small but so fundamental could make such a difference. In a matter of seconds the attitude of the entire tribe had changed.

Julia extended her hand. "Vakiva," she said, mimicking Alan and Mark. "Friends."

The Shirva Chief caught her around the neck in a hug, his teeth flashing white in a broad smile. He released her and turned to Alan, speaking glibly. Alan understood and felt his face grow warm.

"What did he say?" Julia asked.

"Never mind."

"Alan!" Julia said, warningly.

Alan cleared his throat. "He says my wife is very big and beautiful."

Julia stared and then threw back her head and laughed. The rest of the natives were crowding forward, and instead of their former solemnity, their faces were wreathed in smiles. Treena embraced him and looked up at him, her eyes shining with pure hero-worship. Alan could feel his cheeks burning.

Miki was pulling at his hand. "Eat, Alan, please."

Alan picked up hie bowl of food with a better appetite. Mark scooted his own mat over and sat beside him, looking like Gulliver among the Lilliputians. He cocked an eyebrow at Alan. "Nice goin' pal."

One of the little native girls stopped in front of him, presenting him with some kind of woven tray with a selection of meats to choose from. Mark winked at her.

"Careful, Mark," Alan said. "She might be somebody's wife, you know."

His partner glanced at Julia, who had gone back to her original spot and was surrounded by a crowd of natives. "Too bad they ain't more our size," he remarked. "I'd kinda like t'have a woman around -- one that doesn't bite my head off when I remark that the grass is green an' the sky is blue."

Alan sighed. "You know, Mark, she --"

"Easy, kid, don't lecture me. I know it must be hard on you listenin' to us bicker all the time." He selected a cut of meat from the tray and smiled at the Shirva girl. "Come on and sit down a minute honey." He patted the ground beside him.

She set the tray daintily on the grass and took the place next to him. Another appeared out of the crowd and settled down on the other side, lifting large, melting eyes to his face. Mark patted her head. "Hi sweetums. What's your name?"

Her eyes widened.

"I'm Mark." Linley tapped himself on the chest. "Mark."

"Mark!" She flashed him a wide smile. "I'm Choova!"

Mark glanced past him. "Looks like you got an admirer of your own." He picked up his native wine and offered it to Choova, and then to the girl on the other side.

Two of the Shirva males were approaching, both of them regarding Mark measuringly. Linley looked suddenly apprehensive. "Oops! Maybe you were right. Here come the husbands." He sat up straight. "Sorry fellas, my mistake."

But the males didn't appear disturbed. They smiled amiably, squatting down on their haunches. One extended a hand, placing it on Choova's head. He spoke glibly. Alan understood some of it and felt his face go scarlet.

Miki had appeared beside them, and his voice spoke in Alan's mind. *Choova's husband says that he is pleased for Mark to take his wife for as long as he desires. He asks only that you be kind to her and not beat her unless she deserves it, for she is a good woman and will serve you faithfully.*

Mark was looking at him. Alan cleared his throat and translated. For the first time since Alan had known him, Linley looked really shocked.

"Holy hell! What's he think I am -- a cradle-robber?"

"She may be older than you, Mark," Alan said softly.

"Her age ain't the point! She ain't half my size!" Mark looked appalled.

Julia laughed. "Well, what do you expect, Strike Commander?" she inquired mockingly. "They're trying to please us and if you come on like that to their women, you'd better expect a few offers."

Mark glared at her and then spoke to Alan. "Tell 'em thanks but no. Tell 'em -- I dunno -- that I got a wife already or somethin'."

"I can't do that! Miki will know if I lie!"

"Then tell 'em the truth." Linley had blushed for the first time since Alan had met him. "But try'n do it without hurtin' their feelin's, for the luvvamike."

Alan laughed. "I think I can manage." He turned to Miki, who was watching, puzzled, and spoke telepathically. *Mark asks that I thank your friends for their offer. Their wives are very beautiful, but among our people it is the custom that our wives remain with their husbands always. Mark would not feel right taking these women from their husbands. It is against our law.*

Miki shrugged carelessly. *Silly law. If a man chooses to give away or lend what is his, why should another man hesitate to take it?*

*Well,* Alan replied uncomfortably, *it is our way. Can you explain to your friends and thank them for their generous offer?*

Miki shrugged again and spoke to the two Shirva. The natives also shrugged, took their wives by the hands and led them away. Mark let out a sigh of relief. "Whew! That was close!"

"Serves you right!" Julia snapped. "Alan shouldn't have helped you either! He should have let you get out of it on your own!"

Mark ignored her. He stood up and stretched. "Man, I'm shot! Looks like the shelter's about ready, too. Shall we flip for first watch?"

Miki touched Alan's arm. "No, no," he piped. "My people watch. Is okay."

Linley's eyes widened. "Man! This li'l guy's sure pickin' up the lingo. What say, kid? Shall we get a full night's sleep for a change?"

"Suits me," Alan said.

XIV

Alan awoke early. Rose-colored light was just creeping through the flaps of their shelter. The rain had stopped and somewhere a bird called, its voice piercingly sweet in the stillness.

He sat up and stretched. Mark and Julia were still asleep on opposite sides of the shelter, and Mark was snoring lustily. Miki lay curled up against Linley, his small face pinched and pale in the dim morning light. Was it his imagination, or did the little fellow look even whiter than he had the day before?

Miki started, his eyes flying open. Mark grumbled something, pulling the blanket more closely around him. The little native sat up quickly, but relaxed when he saw Alan. A shy smile stretched his lips.

*Good morning, Alan,* Miki's voice said in him mind.

"Good morning, Miki." Alan crawled from the shelter and stood up, stretching. The Shirva followed, running his hands through his hair until it stood up wildly. Two other natives materialized from the forest and one of them spoke softly to Miki. Alan glanced around, noting that wood had already been laid for a fire. Yawning, he began to rummage in his pack for a light.

Miki piped something and bent over the wood, concentrating. Psychic energy surged and with a hiss and a crackle, the wood caught. The flames streamed upward, yellow-gold and wonderfully hot in the cold morning air. Alan looked at Miki with respect. *You're a pyro!* he said telepathically.

*Yes. You are not?*

*No. That's great! What other talents do you have?*

*Psychic talents? I can read minds and tell when someone is lying ...*

"Telepathy," Alan said aloud.

*Yes,* Miki resumed. *And sometimes I can find things that are lost, if they are close by.*

"Clairvoyance. Are you a telekinetic?"

*I do not understand.*

"Move things with your mind." Alan reached out with telekinesis for one of the smaller chunks of stacked wood. It lifted easily and floated to his hand. He tossed it back on the pile.

Miki's eyes had gone wide and the other two Shirva retreated to the edge of the clearing, looking frightened.

*No!* Miki's voice said in his mind. *No Shirva can do that! It is wonderful!* He turned and piped impatiently to his fellow natives. They approached hesitantly, awe in their expressions, and yet they had showed no fear when Miki had caused the fire to light. But then, they were used to that, he supposed.

One of the natives dug in a pouch dangling on his hip and brought out a small jar that he handed to Alan.

"For you, Alan!" he piped.

"Coffee! Where on Earth did you get coffee tablets?"

"From 'trollers," Miki told him. "Sometimes they are carrying them. We do not like coffee." He made a face. "You take it."

"Oh." Alan had an uncomfortable suspicion concerning the fate of the coffee's original owner. "Well, thanks a lot. I've been longing for coffee for days now."

The Shirva beamed. "Da tur!" he said.

"I'll need something to boil water in," Alan said.

One of the Shirva produced a stone pot, already filled, the other three, stone flasks. They grinned broadly, obviously enjoying their roles as gift-givers. What a sense of obligation the little guys had, Alan thought. More Terrans should be like that. There were an awful lot of people in the Sector who seemed to believe that society owed them a living, and if that living wasn't supplied to their satisfaction, they rebelled and made life nasty for those who had made it better. The Shirva were just the opposite. Alan had never seen such gratitude from anyone, especially since what he and his companions were doing for the little guys seemed the only thing they *could* do, and there were no guarantees of success.

Mark crawled from the tent, rubbing a hand across his eyes. "G'mornin' kid. G'mornin' Mik ... fellas ... ha! Coffee! Where'd you get it?"

Alan explained and poured a cup of the steaming liquid for his partner. Mark sipped it and gave a sigh of satisfaction.

They were on their way again early. The sun shone down benignly and the air was sweet and fresh. Birds flitted from tree to tree and their spirits were high as they swung along. Miki was cheerful now, and whistled a tune between his teeth as they marched. Again Alan tried to contact Lyn without success, and found himself wondering what had become of her. He shouldn't worry about it, he told himself with a twinge of the old anger. She meant nothing to him, but he *was* worried. Try as he might, he couldn't hate her. She might be stupid and spoiled and silly, but after all she was a psychic, and very young.

He wished he could stop thinking about her.

About midday, he noticed that Miki's steps were slowing. The Shirva had ceased to whistle and his head hung as he slogged along. After an hour, he began to fall behind the others and Alan dropped back.

"Are you okay, Miki?"

"Yes, sure." The Shirva didn't look at him.

Alan frowned in concern. "You don't look so good."

"I am okay." He rummaged in his pack and removed two of the star-shaped leaves, rather crumpled and wilted, but still green. He stuffed one into his mouth, just as a Terran might eat a leaf of lettuce, and chewed rapidly. For a moment, he looked at the other one, then placed it carefully back in the pouch.

"You aren't going to eat it, too?" Alan asked. "You look like you could use it."

"I mus' not. Is not enough."

"What do you mean?" Alan switched to telepathic speech. *Is that the last one you have?*

*It is all.* Miki had also switched to telepathy. *My people said they would bring me more before another day passes.*

*And if they don't?*

*They will. They have promised.*

*Miki, how much of it do you need?*

Miki was slow to answer. *One,* he said at last. *Better two leaves every day.*

*And this is all you've had since we started?*

*Yesterday morning I had one. I will be all right now, Alan. I have one left, still, and my people will bring me more.*

*You hope.* Alan sighed. He hadn't realized the Shirva's dependence on the herb was a day to day thing, but apparently it was, like getting enough water to drink. Without it, the little native weakened rapidly, and he had a terribly limited supply. No wonder his race was in such dire straits. Suppose ... Alan didn't want to think about it, but he couldn't help it. Suppose the scientists at the base couldn't isolate the substance the Shirva needed quickly enough? Miki would be dead.

The native was watching him, and was undoubtedly reading his thoughts, for his answer came quickly. *It is all right, Alan. If I do not go, I will be dead anyway within a month. There is little time left for me.*

They tramped on, and within an hour the Shirva was moving nimbly again. The whistling resumed.

Evening came on and when the light began to fade, Mark called a halt. They settled in a small clearing and once again the tribe of Shirva appeared, to bring them food and make them comfortable. Alan relaxed on his woven mat and leaned back, staring up at the sky. Both moons were visible, and again the meteor showers began, lighting up the sky at frequent intervals.

The Shirva chief appeared, Miki beside him.

"Alan," Miki said.

"Yes?"

The old alien extended a hand. "We mus' go," he said in slurred Basic.

Alan glanced at Miki. The psychic alien spoke telepathically. *They must go back to the village, Alan. The forest is full of Patrol, and there is no one to protect our women.*

Alan had sensed the search parties several times during the day, although none had come close enough to pose a problem. "That's okay, Miki. Tell him we'll be fine and thank him for taking such good care of us."

Miki spoke glibly to his Chief and then turned back. *My Chief thanks you again for your help and your friendship. He will leave you food to take with you. Do not worry about attacks from other Shirva. None of my people come this close to the Patrol base.*

"What about you?" Alan asked, supplementing his verbal speech with telepathy. "Have they brought you some of the Lemke?"

*Yes; I have some. Enough. I will be all right.*

"Okay, if you say so." Alan extended a hand to the Shirva Chief. "Goodbye," he said in Basic.

"Goodbye, Alan," the Chief said. "Sa yavat sa ta!"

"Sa yavat sa ta," Alan replied.

The Shirva turned to Mark and repeated the phrase. Linley copied Alan's example, glancing at his partner questioningly. "They sayin' goodbye, kid?"

Alan nodded. "They can't stay with us any longer."

"Sounds serious."

"Patrol search parties. There's lots of them around and the Shirva are worried about their women back at their village."

"Oh. Sure, Chief, I understand." Mark gave the little alien a gentle pat on the back that staggered him slightly. "G'bye. Take care o' yourselves."

"Goodbye, Mark," the Chief said.

The tribe lingered a few more minutes, depositing packs and laced leather bags beside the newly erected shelter. Then they turned and headed for the trees, glancing back many times at their strange benefactors.

Miki watched them go, his whole body drooping. Julia rested a slim hand on his shoulder. "You'll see them again soon, Miki," she said.

Alan doubted that Miki understood her, but the Shirva glanced up with a white-toothed smile.

"I'm okay, Julia," he said with a flawless Terran accent. "You're nice. Thank you."

Alan also watched the natives go with a sense of loss. The Shirva were their friends. They had watched over him and his companions, protecting them from capture, and now they were gone. They were once again on their own in a strange, hostile world. Well, not quite alone. Miki would be with them, but from what he had seen, the little guy really wouldn't be much protection. He was too young, too small and too weak to be anything but a burden. They would have to protect him from any danger that threatened.

But the Shirva were gone. Alan sighed and leaned against the tree again. Mark stood up. "I'll take first watch, kids."

"It's my turn," Julia said.

Mark shrugged. "If you want, honey," he said carelessly, and crawled into the shelter. Alan watched Miki follow, then went over to Julia.

"Julia --"

"If you're going to plead his case, Alan, don't waste your time. The man is intolerable."

"He's confused, Julia," Alan said. "He doesn't know how to act."

"That's for darn sure!" She folded her arms and looked away. Alan saw tears glisten in her eyes. He put a hand gently on her shoulder.

"Jul --"

She shrugged him off. "Leave me alone, Alan! In matters of the heart, depart! Don't forget what Lee says!"

Alan stood, irresolute, then slowly turned away. Julia didn't speak again. She was staring fixedly at the trees and he could tell, in spite of her shielding, that she was trying hard not to cry.

He crawled into the shelter beside Mark and Miki. The Shirva was already asleep, but Linley was not. Although his eyes were closed, Alan could sense his mind's emanations strongly. They kept him awake for a long time.

He awoke suddenly at the touch of a hand on his shoulder. Julia was kneeling beside him, her eyes wide and dark in the dimness. "Alan!" she whispered. "Wake up!"

"I'm awake. What's the matter?"

"Come outside," she whispered.

Alan sat up, noting that Mark was snoring against one side of the shelter with Miki curled up against him. Julia crawled from the tent and he followed.

"Look what we have here." Julia pointed, and Alan stared in puzzlement. The red-haired Shirva who had had the violent disagreement with Miki earlier was seated cross-legged on the ground. He smiled disarmingly at Alan.

"Hi," he piped softly.

"Hi." Alan turned to Julia. "I thought they'd all gone."

"They have. All except for little Jeel, here."

Alan went toward the native. "What's he doing here?"

"He says he won't leave. I think he's determined to go with us."

She was right. Jeel's mind was wide open, probably by design. Alan sensed determination, as well as apprehension over what Miki would do and say, but the Shirva wasn't leaving, and the reason became clear in an instant.

"Julia, do you know what we have here?"

"What?"

"Jeel is linked with Miki."

"He's a psychic?"

"No." Alan shook his head. "It's like my link with Mark, I think."

"Oh no!"

"He's coming with our consent or without it."

"Oh boy!" Julia sat down rather heavily beside the Shirva. "I can just hear Mark, already."

"Me, too." Alan bit his lip. "What'll we do?"

"Well, there really isn't much we *can* do, is there? It's his world, and his forest. If he chooses to follow us, that's his business." She smiled. "Now I know why the Chief didn't interfere when Miki and Jeel were arguing earlier." She laughed softly. "In some ways the Shirva are a lot smarter than Terrans."

"Especially Kaley," Alan said darkly.

Inadvertently, he had raised his voice, and within the tent, Mark's snores ceased abruptly.

"Uh oh," Julia said. "Here it comes."

Linley crawled from the tent. "Alan? What's goin' on? I'm supposed to take next watch ..." His voice trailed off. "Hullo! It's our friend. What's he doin' here?"

Alan hesitated. "Uh ..."

"Kid," Mark said ominously, "you ain't agreed to let him come along, have you?"

"I haven't said anything, but ..."

"He can't, an' that's final. One's gonna be bad enough when we get to the base."

Miki appeared at the opening of the shelter. "Jeel!" he shrilled.

The red-haired native started and leaped to his feet. Miki came quickly forward, speaking rapidly and angrily, pointing toward the trees. Jeel backed away a few steps, but didn't reply.

Miki's voice became angrier. He gesticulated wildly. Mark glanced at Alan, puzzled. "Why's he so set on stayin'?"

"They're psychic partners," Alan said. "Like you and me."

"*What*?"

"You heard right," Julia said, acidly. "Are you still set on having him leave?"

"But --" Mark stopped, looking upset, the determination in his expression fading. Miki continued to speak angrily to Jeel, while the other made no resistance or reply.

Linley swore softly, full understanding settling on his face. "You know what this means," he said. "How the hell are we -- ah, hell!" He went over to Miki and rested a hand on his head. "Cool it, kid," he said, "you're gonna give yourself a stroke."

Miki quieted, glaring at Jeel. Alan also went to him, establishing mind contact. *Miki, Mark and I understand.*

Miki looked up at him, and Alan read distress on his features as well as in his mind. "You could not! We are linked! This link is special. Not many have it, but those who do --"

*We understand," Alan repeated.

The Shirva looked at him and then at Mark. "Ah!" he muttered.

Alan looked at Linley. "Well?"

Linley shrugged resignedly. "Make sure he understands it's dangerous," he said. "He might get killed."

"I'm sure Miki's told him that a dozen times at least."

"Yeah, o'course. Psychic partners, out to pertect each other no matter what the price." Mark cussed under his breath, then spoke to Miki. "He can come, kid. It's okay with me."

"No!" Miki shrilled. He looked ready to burst into tears.

Jeel put an arm around him, speaking gently. Miki started to shrug him off, then turned and buried his face against the other native's chest. Jeel patted him between the shoulder blades.

"Looks like it's settled," Julia said quietly to Alan.

Jeel looked up at her, his face splitting into a wide grin. His teeth were startlingly white, his face tanned, offering a curious contrast to his shock of bright red hair. "Thanks," he said in Basic.

Mark shrugged. "You may not be thankin' us at this time tomorrow," he said warningly.

Jeel blinked at him, uncomprehending. Miki straightened up, sniffling, and aimed a punch at his partner. Jeel dodged and punched back. Miki caught his arm and threw him, and an instant later the two were wrestling on the ground, looking for all the galaxy like street play-fighting. Mark grunted and grinned, running a hand through his hair. "My watch, I guess, huh Jul?"

"Yes."

Jeel pinned Miki to the forest floor and the smaller alien yipped. Linley reached down, caught Jeel by the seat of the pants and lifted him lightly from his friend. "Time t'sleep, kids. No more playin' tonight," he informed them. "Off to bed, now."

Miki rolled to his feet, giggling. Alan laughed. "Well, he looks a lot happier now that he's given up the battle, anyway."

"I just hope we're doin' the right thing," Mark said. "This could turn into a disaster, y'know."

"Tomorrow will take care of itself," Julia said. She crawled into the tent and the Shirva followed.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.