Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Welcome to the endgame! I can't believe this is already chapter 13! Every character found what they were looking for tonight -- the next chapter will show who's going to regret it. More surprises in the next chapter, too, with another favorite character entering the mix to help clean up the mess that's been made. And we get a break from the suspense.
peep

Please feel free to send any constructive criticism my way! thumbsup
And if you especially like any particular bits, I'm always thrilled to know! blush

As always, thanks to Sara for her a fantastic beta-job - as I always edit again and again, any errors here are mine.

The story continues here: Undercover Reporter: Resurrection (13/17)
And the full index is here (Mike, thank you for all the updates!): Undercover Reporter: Resurrection Index

Thank you for reading!

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Come back here with that next chapter. You can't leave us hanging like this.

I loved how Clark slipped back into old habits as soon as he was in the newsroom. Can't wait to find out what's happening now. Will Clark jump in front of the next bullet now to save Lois?

Please hurry back.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
At last! hyper

Clark felt his own reporter’s instinct come rapidly online, and he zeroed in on the computer in front of his friend. He crossed toward Jimmy with alacrity, and leaned over to see his monitor, one hand on the back of his chair. In spite of the billowing cape that was just settling around him, it was an accustomed tableaux that was no longer his daily custom. He reminded himself to ignore the resulting pang. Superman did not work in a newsroom.

He may not work in the bullpen anymore, but the instincts to lean over a co-worker's shoulder and study the results of in-depth research (hacking) does not leave easily. Once again we see how much Clark wants to return to his old life! Why is he being such a lunkhead? thud

Hydra head? Hmmm, where is Tony Stark and Steve Rogers? LOL!

He’d left the Planet only a second ago, and Baxter Avenue was already coming into view ahead of him now. Instead of using his vision to hunt for the address, he put all of his focus into listening for her heartbeat.

There weren’t many signs of life nearby. The rundown warehouse district he was speeding over was nearly empty tonight.

The first he picked up wasn’t hers. It was weaker, and he could hear a cough rattling through the lungs adjacent to it.

The second pulse was so fast that it was easy to identify as a cat, and he moved on.

The third was too heavy, with a smaller echo, as if the arteries were clogged.

Oh my, I can't remember anyone describing the search for Lois' heartbeat. The mention of a cat's pulse was cute.

“Haven’t you? Then it must have been someone else who stole my courier’s shipping manifest. And someone else that had half my transport team arrested at the warehouse two days ago. And someone else that undermined my business partner’s confidence with her hapless little interview earlier this week.”

The penny dropped.

“No, no, Ms. Lane. You’ve been a thorn in my side all summer long.”

Nigel?!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Evie!
That had been her half of the job tonight. Jimmy was clearly still running down the information for her.
So, if Jimmy does her half of the work, then she’s free to… shock

Superman did not work in a newsroom.
Alt-Clark: wave

. “The Arianna. See if the rest of Chow’s withdrawals line up with her stops.
What’s a ship named after one of Lex’s former brides doing in Chow’s stable?

It was an inventory list. And it looked familiar. The company logo at the bottom was unmistakable.
You are being intentionally evasive in your writing. Naughty writer. Naughty.

Lois was only moving at a run these days if something big was happening
Very poignant clap the way you show her state of mind, how her only drive is the invexigation.

He’d even thought that he’d heard her calling for him, whispering his name
Did she? Would have to go and check. Knowing the writer, she probably did.

What if he hadn’t come when she’d called?
Then he forfeited a chance to win the bet and has to pay up in kind. Good thing they had decided to pay the debt of their bet in her bed.

He poured on the speed, cursing his synapses for moving as fast as the rest of his body, since as he flew, they were throwing up panicked images in his mind’s eye of Lois in danger
Oh, that’s a cute one!

falling from a building, ducking as an assailant reached menacingly toward her, stumbling down a dark alley, clutching a too-wet wound in her middle, her unmoving form lying still in a fire-ravaged jungle.
And a nice touch how you made each image progressively worse.

And then…

An achingly familiar rhythm.

Lois.
It would be so awkward if he found her in the troughs of passion.

Her heartbeat was faster than usual.

Too fast.

She was nervous.

No, he corrected, listening more intently.

She was afraid.
Awww…he can distinguish her heartbeats smile1

Now, she’d become so important to him that he wasn’t entirely sure he could survive without her.

He didn’t want to try.
Does this mean he also won’t break up with her for her own good?
CLARK: Break up? Why would I do something so stupid?

…It was then that his hearing picked up the second heartbeat.

His x-ray vision tore through the walls between them, seeking her out.

With a shock of brutal recognition, he caught a glimpse of the scene below and pulled himself sharply out of his near-wild descent, calculating the odds against what he was seeing.
See, and that’s why it’s important to consummate the relationship. Clark has just mixed up ‘afraid’ and ‘excited’ because he never heard ‘excited’ before.

Sickly stunned, he felt his impenetrable heart break in unstoppable anguish.
Yes, she’s in love with Call-Me-Daniel.

He couldn’t…

He couldn’t save her.

Lois!
Lex already saved her?

In the midst of the shadowy, silent warehouse, Lois crept over toward the other side of the ‘fertilixer’ crate, intent on her search for kryptonite.
Oh, right. What you get for taking a break for the day. Of course she was hunting K. Duh!

This meant that the danger was still out there.

“Looking for this, my dear?”
Awww… and here’s Lex, ready to save her with a piece of kryptonite from that nasty hoodlum, Superman. Did I seriously suggest earlier that he’s behind this after all? Or was it that just a joke in a list of names?

Her mind blanked in fear as she had the impossible thought that she really had been chasing ghosts.
Maybe it’s time to indeed cross the streams? You know, for maximum delexification.

“Unfortunately, not,” the voice said, tugging at her memory. “I’m afraid you really did send Mr. Luthor to an early grave.” The accent was cultured.
confused

“Nigel,” she concluded, surprised.
Now, Lois, Nigel speaks with the Queen’s English, not the classical New Troy accent.

I wish I could say it was nice to see you again, Ms. Lane.” His face took on a hard look. “But you’ve been a thorn in my side for too long to afford you such niceties.”
This reminds me when he shows up in the sewers in Season Two.

“That’s right. You were insufferable enough as Mr. Luthor’s fickle paramour. But no matter how you got in the way then, I was still paid. Now when you get in the way, it’s a threat to my livelihood.”
Hey, you do a good Nigel, too!

“No, no, Ms. Lane. You’ve been a thorn in my side all summer long.”
You know, I never did suspect Nigel. Never thought he had this much ambition.

“Millionaires are all much the same,” Nigel replied sedately. “I find that catering to one is much like catering to another. It was not difficult to change company from Mr. Luthor to Mr. Chow.”
jawdrop wait, was Lex innocent all this time? Did Nigel use the magician’s daughter from Illusions to hypnotize Lex and turn him into a fall guy. Literally.

“During the Luthor Corp buyout, Mr. Chow let it be known that he was interested in unique opportunities to increase his holdings, especially those that were less than …traditional.
jawdrop
CHOW: Stripper wives are expensive to keep.

Now that she’d uncovered the mystery, her brain was starting to assess her own situation
LOIS: What? WHAT? I *do* know my priorities. Kerth first.

Maybe she could irritate him – angry men made mistakes.
Sounds perfectly reasonable.

“You should hear what he said about you when you weren’t around,” he responded.
‘trophy’
‘too independent’

“Perhaps Mr. Chow will now let me do the honors. After all, he was ever so grateful that I had a method of insurance to offer him.”
One does have to wonder why Daily Planet reporters all seem to attract crazed billionaires. One’s an accident. Two’s a coincidence. Three’s a pattern.

“It’s a shame Lex was a lying, sociopathic, murdering crime lord,” she said without remorse.
You had fun with this, didn’t you? And you forgot ‘old letch’.

But if you’re not willing to play your part, so be it.” He tsk’ed. “Unfortunately, that does mean that you have no further use.”
How very Emperor of him.

She wouldn’t lose their bet this week.
That’s the important part?

LOIS: I really do like to win.

’m so sorry, Clark, was her last thought as she watched Nigel’s knuckles whiten to squeeze the trigger. I love you.

The bullet exploded from the chamber.
Okay, aside from the fact that Superman will jump in front of the bullet. Again. And get nicked this time. Aside from that, you realize that you haven’t posted part 14 yet?

wildguy

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard