Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#50 Consent: A Memoir by Vanessa Springnora

Consent is the story of one precocious young girl’s stolen adolescence. Devastating in its honesty, Vanessa’s painstakingly memoir lays bare the cultural attitudes and circumstances that made it possible for a thirteen-year-old girl to become involved with a fifty-year-old man who happened to be a notable writer. As she recalls the events of her childhood and her seduction by one of her country’s most notable writers, Vanessa reflects on the ways in which this disturbing relationship changed and affected her as she grew older.

First, what this girl experienced was horrible. It is appalling that so many people in her life and society at that time were complicit. As to the style of the writing, with such a powerful story, I was surprised that it was so detached.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#51 Friends with Secrets by Christine Gunderson

What you see isn’t always what you get.

Take Ainsley. The gorgeous mother of two lives a picture-perfect life with her husband, Ben—aspiring politician and heir to a candy fortune—in suburban Washington, DC. But in reality, Ainsley has no idea what she’s doing and is terrified someone will figure out who she really is and where she came from.

Nikki’s fighting to keep afloat as a stay-at-home mother of four, subsisting on chicken nuggets and very little sleep. She’s a mess on the outside, and inside yearns for the validation—and the paycheck—of the television news career she left behind.

When a dangerous figure from Ainsley’s past becomes a coach at her kids’ school, she fears the worst and confides in Nikki, spilling every detail of her former life.

A diverting light read - nothing special.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#52 Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Finney Boylan

Olivia McAfee knows what it feels like to start over. Her picture-perfect life—living in Boston, married to a brilliant cardiothoracic surgeon, raising a beautiful son, Asher—was upended when her husband revealed a darker side. She never imagined she would end up back in her sleepy New Hampshire hometown, living in the house she grew up in, and taking over her father's beekeeping business.

Lily Campanello is familiar with do-overs, too. When she and her mom relocate to Adams, New Hampshire, for her final year of high school, they both hope it will be a fresh start.

And for just a short while, these new beginnings are exactly what Olivia and Lily need. Their paths cross when Asher falls for the new girl in school, and Lily can’t help but fall for him, too. With Ash, she feels happy for the first time. Yet at times, she wonders if she can she trust him completely . . .

Then one day, Olivia receives a phone call: Lily is dead, and Asher is being questioned by the police. Olivia is adamant that her son is innocent. But she would be lying if she didn’t acknowledge the flashes of his father’s temper in him, and as the case against him unfolds, she realizes he’s hidden more than he’s shared with her.

The summary for the book does not reveal the true plot. I've read a lot of Jodi Picoult books - loved some, hated others. She creates engaging characters and does a great job with mixing up the flow of the story narrative (not presenting it in a linear fashion). I enjoy that she ties into current topical issues. But this case felt like the kitchen sink - so many topics that it felt more agenda driven than character driven. And way too many facts about honey bees!!

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#53 LIttle Monsters by Adrienne Brodeur

Ken and Abby Gardner lost their mother when they were small and they have been haunted by her absence ever since. Their father, Adam, a brilliant oceanographer, raised them mostly on his own in his remote home on Cape Cod, where the attachment between Ken and Abby deepened into something complicated—and as adults their relationship is strained. Now, years later, the siblings’ lives are still deeply entwined. Ken is a successful businessman with political ambitions and a picture-perfect family and Abby is a talented visual artist who depends on her brother’s goodwill, in part because he owns the studio where she lives and works.

As the novel opens, Adam is approaching his seventieth birthday, staring down his mortality and fading relevance. He has always managed his bipolar disorder with medication, but he’s determined to make one last scientific breakthrough and so he has secretly stopped taking his pills, which he knows will infuriate his children. Meanwhile, Abby and Ken are both harboring secrets of their own, and there is a new person on the periphery of the family—Steph, who doesn’t make her connection known. As Adam grows more attuned to the frequencies of the deep sea and less so to the people around him, Ken and Abby each plan the elaborate gifts they will present to their father on his birthday, jostling for primacy in this small family unit.

Interesting family dynamics but not much build up as you read.

#54 Everything We Never Said by Sloan Harlow

t’s been months since the accident that killed Ella’s best friend, Hayley, and Ella can’t stop blaming herself. Now Ella is back at school, and everywhere she looks are reminders of her best friend—including Sawyer, Hayley’s boyfriend. Little by little, they grow closer, until Ella realizes something horrifying . . .

She’s in love with her dead best friend’s boyfriend.

Racked with guilt, Ella turns to Hayley’s journal, hoping she’ll find something in the pages that will make her feel better about what’s happening. Instead, she discovers that Sawyer has secrets of his own and that his relationship with Hayley wasn’t as picture-perfect as it seemed.

Ella knows she should stay away but finds herself inextricably drawn to him—and scared of everything she never knew about him. Perhaps it’s his grief. Or maybe his desires, cut short by tragedy. Or could it be something twisted only Hayley knew about?

Many YA books have gotten quite good. This one feels like a YA book. Lots and lots of drama, though an interesting twist

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#55 Truths I Never Told You by Kelly RImmer

While dealing with undiagnosed post partum depression, Beth discovers letters from her long dead mother, which reveal she had similar issues.

I thought this book did a nice job fleshing out the characters while still giving the reader a view of women issues in the 1950s.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#56 When I Lost You by Kelly Rimmer

Do you ever wish you had the chance to meet someone again for the first time?

When Leo and Molly met and married, they believed they were invincible. Together they could take on the world. But Leo, a war correspondent, lives for life on the edge, and when he takes a step into the unknown, tragedy strikes and he loses his memory. Molly rushes to help him fill in the gaps and soon they start falling in love all over again.

The trouble is, Molly is hiding something. Something big. The devoted wife at Leo’s bedside is a sham; Leo and Molly’s marriage was on the rocks long before Leo’s accident.

Engaging read. The writer does a nice job with flashbacks. I could see their relationship going either way, once the truth was out. I'm enjoying this writer and plan to check out more of her books.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#57 Poisoned Blood: A True Story of Murder, Passion, and an Astonishing Hoax by Philip E. Ginsburg

Pretty, smart, and pampered, Audrey Marie Hilley grew up in a small Alabama town believing she was entitled to the best of everything. But marriage to her high school sweetheart, a cushy secretarial job, and motherhood were not enough to satisfy Marie, and she soon began to act out in troubling ways. Only when her husband, Frank, became sick with a mysterious illness, did it seem that she was ready to put someone else’s needs ahead of her own. The truth was far more disturbing.

If this were a work of fiction, I would've said the plot stretched credibility. The fact that this actually happened is amazing. The writer does a nice job providing clues along the way and insights into the people involved.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#58 More: A Memoir of an Open Marriage by Molly Roden Winter

Molly Roden Winter was a mom of two young children in Park Slope, Brooklyn, with a husband, Stewart, who often worked late. One night when Stewart missed the kids' bedtime, again , she stormed out of the house to clear her head. At impromptu drinks with a friend, she met Matt, an unbelievably hot younger man. When Molly told her husband that Matt had asked her out, she was surprised that he encouraged her to accept.

So begins Molly's unexpected open marriage, and with it a life-changing journey of self-discovery. Molly and Stewart, who also begins to see other people, set ground rules to Don’t date an ex. Don’t date someone you work with. Don't go to anyone's house. And above all, don't fall in love. Spoiler They end up breaking most of their rules, even the most important one.

Figured this would be a train wreck. And it was. But the author seemed to think she was living the life. From her own words, she didn't sound happy to me.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 08/21/24 05:16 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#59 The Housemaid's Secret by Freida McFadden

It's hard to find an employer who doesn't ask too many questions about my past. So I thank my lucky stars that the Garricks miraculously give me a job, cleaning their stunning penthouse with views across the city and preparing fancy meals in their shiny kitchen. I can work here for a while, stay quiet until I get what I want. It's almost perfect. But I still haven't met Mrs Garrick, or seen inside the guest bedroom. I'm sure I hear her crying. I notice spots of blood around the neck of her white nightgowns when I'm doing laundry. And one day I can't help but knock on the door. When it gently swings open, what I see inside changes everything...

That's when I make a promise. After all, I've done this before. I can protect Mrs. Garrick while keeping my own secrets locked up safe. Douglas Garrick has done wrong. He is going to pay. It's simply a question of how far I'm willing to go...

For the second in a series, this book was pretty entertaining.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#60 Where the Coyotes Howl by Sandra Dallas

916. The two-street town of Wallace is not exactly what Ellen Webster had in mind when she accepted a teaching position in Wyoming, but within a year’s time she’s fallen in love—both with the High Plains and with a handsome cowboy named Charlie Bacon. Life is not easy in the flat, brown corner of the state where winter blizzards are unforgiving and the summer heat relentless. But Ellen and Charlie face it all together, their relationship growing stronger with each shared success, and each deeply felt tragedy.

Only read this because it was for one of my book clubs. I'm not much of a western fan and this was a very average book.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#61 Yesterday's Kin by Nancy Kress

Aliens have landed in New York.

A deadly cloud of spores has already infected and killed the inhabitants of two worlds. Now that plague is heading for Earth, and threatens humans and aliens alike. Can either species be trusted to find the cure?

Geneticist Marianne Jenner is immersed in the desperate race to save humanity, yet her family is tearing itself apart. Siblings Elizabeth and Ryan are strident isolationists who agree only that an alien conspiracy is in play. Marianne’s youngest, Noah, is a loner addicted to a drug that constantly changes his identity. But between the four Jenners, the course of human history will be forever altered.

I loved Nancy Kress' earlier works (early 2000s), especially Beggars in Spain. I have not been impressed by her later works. This wasn't a bad story, just rather predictable. Nothing special.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 09/02/24 08:03 PM.
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#62 I Cheerfully Refuse by Leif Enger

Set in a not-too-distant America, I Cheerfully Refuse is the tale of Rainy, an aspiring musician setting sail on Lake Superior in search of his departed, deeply beloved, bookselling wife. An endearing bear of an Orphean narrator, he seeks refuge in the harbors, fogs, and remote islands of the inland sea. After encountering lunatic storms and rising corpses from the warming depths, he eventually lands to find an increasingly desperate and illiterate people, a malignant billionaire ruling class, a crumbled infrastructure, and a lawless society. As his guileless nature begins to make an inadvertent rebel of him, Rainy’s private quest for the love of his life grows into something wider and wilder, sweeping up friends and foes alike in his wake.

While I'm a fan of dystopian novels, I'm not sure about this one. I enjoyed the main character and his quest. I'm always curious about how these new worlds work and how we got there, but we only see peeks.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#63 The Anxious Generation: How the Great Rewiring of Childhood is Causing an Epidemic of Mental Illness by Jonathan Haidt

After more than a decade of stability or improvement, the mental health of adolescents plunged in the early 2010s. Rates of depression, anxiety, self-harm, and suicide rose sharply, more than doubling on many measures. Why?

I thought this was an excellent book. I agree with many of his points. I was surprised to discover I'd read other books by this author that I also enjoyed.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#64 No One Can Know by Kate Alice Marshall

Fourteen years ago, the Palmer sisters―Emma, Juliette, and Daphne―left their home in Arden Hills and never returned. But when Emma discovers she’s pregnant and her husband loses his job, she has no option but to return to the house that she and her estranged sisters still own . . . and where their parents were murdered.

Emma has never told anyone what she saw the night her parents died, even when she became the prime suspect. But her presence in the house threatens to uncover secrets that have stayed hidden for years, and the sisters are drawn together once again. As they face their memories of the past, rivalries restart, connections are forged, and, for the first time, Emma starts to ask questions about what really happened that night.

Average thriller.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#65 The Apology by Jimin Han

This sweeping intergenerational saga tells the story of a pampered and defiant South Korean matriarch thrust into the afterlife from which she seeks a second chance to make amends — and fights off a tragic curse that could devastate generations to come. In South Korea, a 105-year-old woman receives a letter. Ten days later, she has been thrust into the afterlife, fighting to head off a curse that will otherwise devastate generations to come.

This novel had a very unique POV, being told by a 100+ year old Korean woman. Although she wasn't very likeable, it was interesting to see why she made certain choices. And how she tried to fix them.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#66 Grave Talk by Nick Spaulding

The last thing Alice expects to see at her husband’s graveside on his birthday is a giant, talking frog. On closer inspection, it’s a grown man dressed as Kermit.

Turns out Alice’s husband is buried next to Ben’s older brother Harry, who—as a parting practical joke in his will—insisted that Ben visit his grave each year, on this specific day, dressed in an as-yet-undisclosed pageant of embarrassing fancy dress.

With little but their grief and this one day in common, Alice and Ben form a very special, very strange friendship, meeting just once a same day, same time, same place—different silly costume. As the years pass and grief alters, can their unique bond help them cope with the hardest part of life?

An interesting concept that didn't completely work. I found myself skimming parts, which isn't a good sign.

S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
#67 The Berry Pickers by Amanda Peters

July 1962. A Mi’kmaq family from Nova Scotia arrives in Maine to pick blueberries for the summer. Weeks later, four-year-old Ruthie, the family’s youngest child, vanishes. She is last seen by her six-year-old brother, Joe, sitting on a favorite rock at the edge of a berry field. Joe will remain distraught by his sister’s disappearance for years to come.

In Maine, a young girl named Norma grows up as the only child of an affluent family. Her father is emotionally distant, her mother frustratingly overprotective. Norma is often troubled by recurring dreams and visions that seem more like memories than imagination. As she grows older, Norma slowly comes to realize there is something her parents aren’t telling her. Unwilling to abandon her intuition, she will spend decades trying to uncover this family secret.

While this story was well written and I liked the chapters alternating between two points of view, the pacing felt slow. Trauma affects people but it got a little old seeing these people continuing to stagnate.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard