Next Thread
Print Thread
L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Sorry to be late. I've been super busy with life.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Top Banana
Top Banana
(Crazy how life gets in the way of writing fanfics, isn't it? laugh I know the feeling...)

Love how Herb is showing a backbone, determined to go back to that crazy place. His noble sensibility is touching:

"But I have to," said Herb. "I have ... a moral duty. To true love, and soul mates and Utopia and a better way of life -"
I'm anxious to see interactions between the characters and those in the resistance...
But I am impressed that Herb is willing to go back all alone. Go HG Wells, the hero! clap

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow I am frightened for Lois and anxious at the same time. Can't wait for more!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
razz

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"He's just ... committed suicide" said Lois, terrified on behalf on the man. She better than anyone knew the kind of treatment he would receive were he caught, especially if Kal-El was the clone, and had something to hide.
As Mozartmaid said: HGW, the hero!

"He's not us," said Clark.
That has to be a tremendous burden lifted from them, but especially from Clark (the alt-Clark from "Long Strange Trip"). All this time, he's wondered if he could have been that evil Lord Kal-El, under the right circumstances. All this time, he thought that his counterpart (*him*, in another dimension) was the evil Lord Kal-El who abused Lois so horribly. To find out that it was a degraded-DNA clone doing the evil, and not 'himself', must be like losing a hundred-pound weight.

I think that Kent (canon Clark) wouldn't have been so relieved before he got into Lois's mind and found out what evil Lord Kal-El was really like. Now that he's seen the bad guy in Lois's mind, Kent would have some of the same relief that Clark feels. But Kent has only known about the situation for a short time; Clark has been living with it for over a year. (Actually, how long has it been since L&C got married in "LST"? Is that important to the fic at all?)

"You can't save the one... we have to have a - " Lois trailed off in horror as she realized she was actually proposing that they form a plan of attack. "We can't do anything about that world, you know that.”
That sounds very un-Lois-like, and all I can say is that Lois has some serious PTSD after her experiences in the evil Lord Kal-El world. Otherwise she would feel that she has to do something about that world. I'm sure that Lane, the undamaged Lois, feels that they should do something.

"I was able to get past what happened because I came back to my normal world where the only Kryptonian here was such a tremendously good person, and even that was a difficult and unlikely journey! Even if she can see that he too was a victim, she will never be able to rest easy in his presence.”
The whole "Long Strange Trip" fic was a great exploration of Lois's healing. We got to see how difficult it was for her.

The Lois in the evil world would have LST Lois's issues and hangups, times ten. And, as you add, the real Kal-El wasn't raised on Earth. He doesn't have the human cultural overlay, not like Clark and Kent do. So there's the whole "mixed marriage" thing in both species and culture. LST Lois and Canon Lois both married someone from a different species, but at least they had cultural similarity with their husbands.

I believe that you are very likely correct in your future projections concerning that world's Lois and Cl - Kal. But I have to go do this. I have to," his voice was impassioned. "I have to try. They deserve that chance. When it works out and soul-mates unite - it is an amazing and rare thing. I have to try. I can't force them together but I can at least help make it possible."
And this could only be from HGW, who has seen L&C in a hundred different alternate worlds. He has a unique perspective.

"Ching and Zara might know those answers," said Kent. "They might well have grown up together until Kal was old enough to be trained for his duties as first lord."

Clark looked at him questioningly.

"I got a crash course in all that when they came to our world,” Kent offered up awkwardly.
That's very interesting. I'm sure that Canon Clark, after Ching and Zara came to get him, must have had some sleepless nights wondering, what if I grew up on New Krypton? (And this topic has been explored in some fascinating fanfics.) So it makes sense that Canon Clark would have learned about what might have happened if he actually *had* grown up on New Krypton.

"Every single Kryptonian in that world is dangerous until proven otherwise."
Sad but true.

"I feel I should be helping," said Kent. "I mean... you can't do this alone."

"They'll take one look at you and throw whatever anti-Kryptonian arsenals they have at their command," said Lane. "You know that. If you went, you'd have to send me first to lay down groundwork."
This is very Canon Lois. Of course she would jump into a dangerous situation and expect to come out OK. LST Lois has suffered through three years of torture so it's no wonder she's just a tad nervous about going back to that world. wink

"Zara and Ching . If we can bring them here and explain our theory and get some more information, we'll be safe, and they won't be harmed either. They will also get a chance to see that there are variations of Kal-El that aren't dangerous."
Great idea! And if they come, there are two Clarks here to keep them under control.

Herb nodded.

"If I have all of your agreement, then, I'll go bring her here now."

He looked around the room patiently, and upon receiving nervous nods all around, he vanished from view once again.
There Herb goes, off on a possible suicide mission once again! You can't say he doesn't put his money where his mouth is.

I'm really looking forward to what Zara and Ching have to say. They probably don't know that Lord Kal-El is actually a degraded clone. Once they find that out, I'm certain they will want to overthrow him. And since our group of four wants the same thing... it's always a good idea to have friends.

I can't wait to see how Herb does! I also wonder what Zara will say to Lois now that they are in a spot where the evil Lord Kal-El can't censor Zara. Although I do wonder what her reaction will be when faced with two versions of Kal-El. That should be interesting.

Please post more soon!

L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thank you all.

Yes, Lois is damaged. Her normal impulses to help are being squelched by her realistic brutal cynicism of having been completely helpless those three years. She has no faith that if they were to go into that world they wouldn't all end up immediately dead or in Kal-El's hands again.

But now both Clarks are up in arms at knowing that even now Lord-CLone-Kal is victimizing women.

I have the next chapter mostly together, so it will be up not too long from today.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard