Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Gawping - I was thinking 'gape' and went to the thesaurus. I found 'gawk' which was familiar to me and 'gawp' which wasn't. I figured 'gawp' must be American, and I *think* it was in there when it went to the BRs - although it's very possible it wasn't.
It was in the copy you sent me. I remember seeing the word. It's not one I come across every day, but I have seen it before and I did know what it meant. I usually think of it as British, but upon seeing it in your story, I had assumed it was also Australian. I didn't single it out as not being used here because it was the perfect word for the situation and I figured that anybody who didn't already know what it meant would be able to figure it out from the context.

Sorry if I fell down in my BR-ing duties here. frown

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Sorry if I fell down in my BR-ing duties here.
You didn't smile Not at all. I think it's the right word, and if you'd suggested I change it, I probably wouldn't have. wink

However, it does, again, show how much wonderful variety there is in this language we call 'English'.

Corrina.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Coming in late (hey, now I have a shorter wait till the next part; woo hoo!), but I just wanted to second (third, fourth ...) what everyone else had said. The "aged rump" line was priceless -- so glad you kept it in. And I didn't even blink on "gawping", though after this discussion, I think it definitely needs to be used in the US, too. goofy

Just to keep things interesting, I'll add that the phrase which caught my attention was Lois saying she was going to "chase Scardino up" to find out about his meeting. In the US, we say "chase him down" or "call him up" but not the way you have it. Might just be a typo, or might be a common Aussie phrase; either way, I am totally on board with the idea that Lois has travelled so many places that she has adopted various non-American phrases; LOL, that's the perfect catch-all answer!

As everyone has said, the whole date and Clark big "reveal" was perfect. It had everything we've all been waiting for. I was especially pleased to hear her finally ask, "How old are you?" since I've been expecting her to ask it for some time now. The whole thing was very nicely done. smile

So 2/3 of the way through story 2 of 4, huh? Good. That means many more weeks of this captivating, marvelous, riveting saga. thumbsup

Kathy

Top Banana
Top Banana
Lol. You know how your eye reads what your mind expects to see? Well, my mind was apparently expecting to see "down" after chase. So, when it saw "up", it supplied the "down" and I read that "chase up and down". I actually smiled as I thought to myself, "Lois is *really* going after him, if she's going to chase him up and down!" laugh

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by KathyB:
either way, I am totally on board with the idea that Lois has travelled so many places that she has adopted various non-American phrases; LOL, that's the perfect catch-all answer!
Or perhaps Lois reads "Ivory Tower" fan fic and picked up the phrase from one of her favorite Australian writers. laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I need a fix... whinging
Must have peeked in 10 times today :-P

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Kathy

chase him up
It wasn't a typo - we chase people up, we hunt them down. huh laugh

I like it when people comment on the differences. It helps me in learning a new language - American!!

Vicki

You know how your eye reads what your mind expects to see?
Yes. Words often drop out of my stories that I'm *sure* used to be there!

Emily LOL. Good explanation.

Laura RL + computer issues + Story3/Part 3 being difficult really slowed me down. sad

Corrina.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard