Print Thread
#300570 09/06/24 02:38 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
The Cold Truth (Part 2)

<-Previous Chapter

----------

A crowd of on-lookers gathered in the mouth of the cave, but none dared to venture outside. The man in front of Lois didn't even seem to notice them as he looked her over, his face ashen. “Lois! Are you all right? Are you hurt?”

“I'm fine.” Lois studied his face, from the beard now covering a strong jaw that she had once described to a sketch artist, to eyes that she had in one breath called “vibrant” and “insipid”. How had she worked beside him for months—been rescued by him for months—and never managed to see the truth right under her nose? She reached up to remove his glasses, and he made no move to stop her. “All this time...”

He swallowed. “I uh—I understand this might be a bit of a shock—”

“No kidding!” She stepped away from him, as though he were a magic-eye puzzle that needed to be viewed from a distance in order to make any sense. The biting wind chastised her for moving too far from his body heat, and she hugged herself in a feeble attempt to warm up. Paltry as the LexLabs blanket had seemed, she already regretted leaving it behind.

He swept his gaze over her from head to toe, and Lois suddenly felt warmer. She stared at him, her jaw slack.

“Better?” When she failed to answer, he quietly reached for the glasses still in her hand. Her grip loosened immediately, and he slipped them back on. Even though he didn't really need them. Even though she knew the truth.

Hot blood began racing through her veins, and she found her voice again. “So, were you ever going to tell me that my best friend is really Superman, or were you too busy laughing at me?!”

The mist from his sigh obscured him for a moment. “Your best friend is really Clark Kent. Superman is—”

“Don't lie to me!” Heat rushed to her face as her mind began cross-referencing some of the more intimate conversations they'd had. “Oh, God! I said so many things to you...in front of you...about you! You must have been struggling to keep a straight face the whole time!” She covered her eyes, suddenly wishing the ground would swallow her up.

“Lois, no!” His hands rested on her shoulders. “I was never, ever laughing at you.”

She glared up at him again. “Then when were you going to tell me the truth?!”

He released her shoulders and looked away, silence answering for him.

Lois gasped. “You were never going to tell me.”

“I...” He rubbed the back of his neck. “I hoped to, someday. I just wanted...” He trailed off again.

“Wanted what?” She folded her arms, waiting for his reply. It didn't come. The wind rustled the trees, its piercing chill vying against the heat of her anger. “Wanted to see how far I would go with my crush on Superman?”

“No!” His gaze snapped back to her. “No, if anything, that's the exact—you know what? Never mind.” He shook his head, and a deep sigh bloomed white in front of him. “It doesn't even matter anymore.”

“What did you want, *Clark*?” Lois stepped towards him, the mist of her breath spiraling away in the wind as she seethed. “What were you waiting for before you could tell me who you really are?”

His eyes narrowed at her. “I said forget it!”

Silence fell. Lois waited, her shivering growing more intense with each second that passed. She blew on her hands, and her teeth began to chatter. “Fine! Whatever your reasons were, you're here now. Let's just go back to the others.”

He blinked at her, making no movement to scoop her into his arms or any such thing.

“Hello?” She frowned, waving towards the forest and the horizon beyond. “The others? You are going to take me back, right?”

He scratched his neck again, looking everywhere but at her. “I'm not sure,” he finally mumbled.

“WHAT?!” Lois stared. She couldn't possibly have heard him correctly: obviously the wind was playing tricks.

He met her eyes. “Lois, this secret...If the wrong people knew, my parents would be in danger. Our lives could all be over. I can't risk anyone finding out.”

She glared at him. “So, what—you think I'm going to start yapping about it to everyone?”

His gaze fell, and his reply was barely audible. “It's a possibility.”

Lois gaped at him. When he did nothing to retract or qualify that statement, she threw her hands into the air. “Well, Gee! Thanks a lot!”

He shrugged. “Even if you can resist the story, we're struggling with survival right now. Knowing that I'm Superman might become an issue of life or death.” As if to illustrate his point, he swept his gaze over her again and the chill vanished.

Lois refused to acknowledge the warmth now flooding through her. “*If* I can resist the story,” she mimicked. “Wow, you really know how to flatter a woman!”

His eyes narrowed, arms crossing in front of him. Even with the glasses, he suddenly looked more like Superman than like her mild-mannered partner. “Superman can't even help a little old lady cross the street without it making page six. Are you going to pretend that printing his true identity wouldn't be an easy Pulitzer?”

If her glare could have ignited him, he would have been a cinder. “Do you think I've never buried a story in my life?!”

He blinked at her in genuine surprise. “You still can't tell anyone. None of the others. Not even the people close to you.”

Her snort puffed white in front of her. “I do understand the concept of a secret.” It wasn't as though she were that close to anyone, anyway...

“You can't tell Lex.” His gaze hardened again.

Lois rolled her eyes and rubbed her upper arms as the cold seeped into her skin again. “What, are you afraid that Lex—”

“Yes.”

She blinked, not expecting his abrupt answer. Her mouth snapped shut.

“Yes,” he repeated. “I'm afraid that Lex would try to blackmail me, or worse, and I don't trust the people around him to keep the information from him.” His expression saddened. “Especially someone who's dating him, for that matter.”

Lois sputtered. “You—I—you—!” She stamped for warmth. “What is it with you and Lex, anyway?! You act like he's responsible for half the crime in Metropolis!” Clark opened his mouth, but she cut him off. “No! Don't you dare! Just because you have this weird jealousy—” She broke off, her finger still poking him in the chest. Superman's chest. But, if Clark was Superman, then why would he be...

“I'm not jealous of Lex,” he said quietly, giving voice to her realization.

“No,” she breathed, “you're not.” She looked into his eyes, and it felt as though she were seeing him for the first time. Superman had his own fame, did his own good for the city, and if he wanted wealth, he could easily have that too. None of the petty reasons she'd imagined for Clark's hatred of Lex could possibly apply. Cold dread wrapped its tendrils around her heart. She swallowed. “What exactly do you have against Lex?”

He sighed and shook his head. “A lot of things, but nothing I can prove. I already told you half of it; what's the difference between Clark Kent telling you about Lex's plan to 'seize the high ground' or Superman telling you about Lex's conviction that people would die if Superman didn't leave Metropolis?”

Lois stared at him in growing horror. Her partner had, indeed, tried from his first days at the Planet to call her attention to suspicious coincidences surrounding Metropolis's greatest philanthropist. She had seen everything from a rookie reporter hoping to land the next great scandal, to a blue-collar guy wanting to take the upper class down a peg; but she'd been absolutely blind to the truth. The heat of her anger drained away, leaving only a cold clamminess behind. “I mean, if I had known—”

His eyes narrowed at her. “You know me. And you didn't believe me. And you're dating him.”

A hot tear traced down Lois's cheek, freezing by the time it reached her chin. “Just go,” she whispered.

“Lois—”

“Go!” She turned back towards the cave and its curious gawkers, now aware that nothing waited for her in the other direction. Her career as an investigator was a joke, Lex was a fake, and Superman...she bit back a sob. “I'll just...stay here. They have food and a fire, so maybe I'll just marry a cave-version of Ralph and live here for the rest of my life.”

“Lois...” After a long moment, she heard his deep sigh and the crunch of approaching footsteps on the packed snow. “No. You can't just stay here forever. Your life is back in Metropolis.”

A sniffle escaped, and she shook her head. “I'm staying. You can tell the others that I got eaten by one of the giant bears, or the saber-tooth tigers, or the terror birds.”

“The terror birds are in South America.”

The sob stuck in her throat, and she turned around to see if he was joking. He looked serious. Lois scrubbed at her cheek and stared at him. “I...I made that last one up...”

He adjusted his glasses and shrugged, looking absolutely Clarkish. “Well, they're real. Dr. Carroll was telling me and Jimmy about them yesterday, along with bone-crushing dogs.”

Lois nodded. “Right. Of course. Terror and Bone-Crushing and Fatalis and Horibilis and Clark I *hate* Luthortopia!”

His hands came up to her shoulders, and before she knew it, she was crying into his broad chest while his arms encircled her. Clark's arms. Superman's arms.

“I want to go home.” Her words fought past the sobs only to be muffled against his shirt.

A strong hand rubbed her back. “I know.”

Her own arms wrapped tightly around his waist, clinging desperately to him. “I don't want to marry Ralph.”

“Nobody wants that, Lois.”

“Do you really think I'm going to go running to Lex with your secret?” She pulled back, daring to look up into his eyes. Superman's eyes. Clark's eyes.

He met her gaze. “...No. No, I don't believe you will.” He pulled her close again, though she felt his shoulders sag. “You're still my best friend, Lois, and I still have your back.”

“And I've got yours.” She sniffled. “So, any ideas how we can explain where we've been all this time?”

Kal-El was having the weirdest day of his entire life. Considering that his life so far had included strange powers and Jor-El's talking egg and learning the complicated ways of his wife's people, that was saying a lot. The woman wasn't his Mad Wolf; that much was abundantly clear, and his wife had finally forgiven him for the error after seeing the other Kryptonian. While the couple had argued in their strange tongue, Mad Wolf had looked frequently between the other Kryptonian and himself, then finally squeezed his hand and told him he was excused. Afterwards, the couple had approached him and made it clear with their gestures that they wanted him to accompany them back to their land.

For some reason, Clark-Kent wanted him to carry the woman, and he also wanted to hold onto Kal-El's arm as they flew. As they reached the tiny tribe in the land across the water, Kal-El realized why: Clark-Kent didn't want the others to know about his powers. Considering the fear and rejection Kal-El had faced among his own people when he came of age, it was a very understandable position, and his heart broke for the man.

The tribe must have fallen upon disastrous times; a small wonder, given the harsh place in which they'd settled. Kal-El saw no children or elderly among the group that ran out to meet them when he landed: only five of the tribe's hunters, one still a smooth-faced youth around Gopher's age, and a single woman other than the one he carried. All were clad in the strange furs of creatures he had never encountered, and yet they all stared at *him* in shock and astonishment.

He set his two passengers down and looked around for their chief. It didn't take long: one man clearly stood out from the others, still bearing the marks of great wealth and power despite the tribe's currently harrowed condition. Kal-El placed a hand over his chest and approached their leader, dipping his head in respect. “Kal-El.”

More chatter rippled through the small crowd. The wealthy man's eyes widened, and he copied Kal-El's motion. “Eustace Diggory.”

Lois smiled a little at the flummoxed expression on the plump scientist's face as the strange visitor introduced himself. The prehistoric Superman's gaze soon landed on the discarded lion skin still lying in front of the nearby ash-heap, and his eyes lit up in recognition. He snatched it up and slung it around his shoulders once more, the “cape” completing the iconic look of Superman in any universe, and Dr. Diggory's eyes bulged further.

Dr. Diggory shook his head and grinned. “So, it *was* a Eurasian lion! This explains everything.”

The remaining scientists goggled, inching closer to stare at Kal-El. Lois glanced at Lex and noticed that his lip had curled in disgust. Her own stomach roiled at the visible reminder of everything she'd failed to see.

Jimmy practically vibrated with excitement. “Kal-El? Isn't that Superman's real name? You guys were actually rescued by Superman?!”

Clark looked over to Lois, clearly waiting to hear her response.

Lois managed not to show the hurt at his obvious doubts. She smiled at Jimmy. “Yes, we really were! Apparently this universe has a Superman too, and he's just as nice as the one back home.”

Dr. Lewis stared at the fur-clad figure. “This raises so many questions...”

Dr. Carroll pulled up the hood of his parka and crossed his arms. “Well, I hope he fed you, because the breakfast rations were already handed out while you were gone.”

Without taking his eyes off of Kal-El, Dr. Lewis elbowed his colleague in the ribs.

“Ugh! Fine!” Dr. Carroll sighed and fished a can of peaches from the depths of his pocket and pulled the tab. “This was supposed to be divided between three people, not two, so make sure you leave some for dinner.”

Kal-El suddenly straightened, his nostrils flaring as he sniffed the air. He whirled to face Dr. Carroll, his eyes widening as his gaze landed on the peaches. In two quick strides, he stood in front of the scientist and pointed to the can with an inquiring look.

Dr. Carroll pulled it closer to his body, one hand covering the lid. “No, you can't have this. It's ours.”

The caveman's head tilted. He removed the lion pelt from his shoulders and held it out to Dr. Carroll.

Dr. Carroll shook his head. “Sorry, Buddy, it's not for sale.”

An unreadable expression crossed Kal-El's face, and then with a crack of thunder, he vanished.

Dr. Diggory stared at the place where he had been. “Have we insulted him?”

Clark looked up into the sky. “I don't think so...”

Within seconds, a dot appeared in the horizon, growing at a rapid pace.

Jimmy stood close behind Clark, his head craning upward. “Is that a bird?”

Lois snorted. “It better not be a terror bird.”

Dr. Lewis shook his head. “No, they're mostly flightless.”

Dr. Carroll squinted up, still clinging to the can of peaches. “Well, it's definitely not a plane.”

Dr. Plummer's eyes widened as the unidentified object flew close enough to have a distinct silhouette. “It's...a mammoth?!”

A massive, furry carcass landed a short distance away, causing the nearest trees to shake. Kal-El dropped lightly to the ground after it, walked up to Dr. Carroll, and pointed to the can of peaches again.

The scientist's jaw hung open, and a few seconds passed before he pushed the can into Kal-El's hands. “Uh, sure! Peaches for giant, dead mammoth. Here you go. Would you like it gift-wrapped?”

“Wait!” Dr. Plummer stepped towards them, waving her hands. “We don't have a lot of fruit; what about the risk of scurvy?”

Dr. Lewis blinked at her. “Jill, do you really care if your emaciated corpse has all of its teeth? Just let him have the peaches!”

Kal-El smiled, cradling the can in his hands as if it were more valuable than gold, and took off once more into the sky.

Jimmy grinned up at Lex. “So, Luthortopia has its own Superman! Is that cool or what?”

Lex stared wordlessly at the massive beast. His gaze drifted to the long trunk trailing along the ground, and he gave it a swift kick.

“I'm going to get my camera!” Jimmy tightened his blanket around his shoulders and ran back to the tent he shared with Clark and Dr. Carroll.

“A mammoth...” Dr. Lewis grinned and shook his head. “The rescue team will need to help us carry the leftovers!”

Lois watched the others rejoice, half-listening as they discussed butchery and skinning and the possible uses of tusks and bones. Dr. Diggory slipped an arm around Dr. Plummer. Jimmy's camera clicked several times, while Lex continued to look completely stupefied. She found Clark staring at her intently, though she couldn't read his expression at all. Maybe he was just trying to warm her up again; after all, what were friends for?

She turned towards the horizon Cave-Superman had disappeared into. Cave-Clark. Kal-El. Whoever he was, he was long gone, now. No doubt, he was already back with his wife, feeding her the peaches and telling her all about the weirdos living over the sea. A part of Lois felt jealous of the other woman: no doubt her life was much less complicated, with her mate and her baby and her small tribe of hunter-gatherers.

But then again, Lois Lane thrived on complicated. She would find her own happiness, even if it ended up looking nothing like her dreams. Lois squared her shoulders, ready to face cold reality.

THE END

~•~
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
FDK can go here. smile

~•~
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
"THE END"??? Bold?!??

jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

Nooooooooooo! No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no noooooo!

Ehem...That is to say, Queenie, I have thoroughly enjoyed your story and most piteously beg the boon of its continuance. Pleeeeease.

I mean, who kills Prince Humperdink Luthor? Someone has to do it.

Shallowford
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Farmerbabe says, "Death by pirates is good."

Shallowford
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
Is there a way to put exclamations around Shallowford’s comments and then, I don’t know, make them really loud and echoey? Like how they would be if that particular ‘The End’ were written at the end of a fun story and the reader were hanging out in a hushed library and just kind of burst out loud with it? And all the other patrons think about shushing the person, but then decide better of it when they see the mix of emotions on the person’s face?

Really fun story! smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I thought it was funny that Kal-El thought Dr. Diggory was the team leader. Take that Luthor!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I hope this isn’t the end but if it is after reading this before bed the other night I dreamt a portal opened in Luthortopia and Clark got everyone to safety except for Lex who was sword fighting CavemanLex. Clark yelled through the portal and tried to grab Lex (like in meet John Doe with Lois…) but all he managed to grab was the tip of Lex’s sword.

B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Well well well. A little shock, indeed. Though I guess it helped she figure it out on her own so she "just" got confirmed instead of finding out "on sight"
So, he doesn't want to take her back? Like...what else could he do? Just vanish off with her until the rescue team arrives? He didn't think that response through.
I totally get his arguments but also like...if its a life-or-death-thing, is then his secret really mor eimportant than the survival of his fellow Luthortopia-prisoners? Not so rue (well that is, except its LEx, then thats a different equation)
Both of them have their flawed arguments here. Lois only trusting Clark on Lex know that she knows he's Superman proves his point, but also the other way around, Lois didn't hav ethe whole information and thus jumped to wrong conclusions. Still doesn't look her good, but also at the same time, shows the flaws in Clark's approach either. So in resume, both are imprefect people who made questionable choices in how to deal best with the respective other. Business as usual
Terror birds? ROFL
Also, I have some doubt a CaveRalph would survive very long. He just needs to look at/touch the wrong...assets, and that should be it for him.
LOL, well I guess its a good thing there's not just another Lois but also another Kal. This way, CaveKal got another chance with his preg Wolfy Girl.
Him bieng able to understand Clark's desire to keep his powers secret actually makes sense. I can see how the tribe would not...initially be excited, and he'd have to prove himself to them just as Superman has to th emodern world. Only minus secret identity as this really wouldn't work well in this environment.
Could there be a numbers error? It says the "strange tribe" has five people waiting there. We have eight visitors, minus Lc that makes six, and each of them is present in the next scene. Or am I missing something?
Hahaha I totally expected Le being identified as chief, yet it's Dr. Diggory. Eat this LExy! ALso, wondering what drove Kal to this totally logical conclusion...
The expression on Lex' face when he realized even in this place he can't get away from Superman (and that they will probably interact more with him) must have been priceless.
Aand he foudn his fur-cape.
Ding-ding-ding. FRUIT! SAVE IT NOW!
Aww, and Kal even knows how to negotiate. He has...good arguments. (well, and a lot of practical training due to being marr...OW!) OK, fine. But in the end, the Visitors have some food, and Kal has his fruit. everyone wins...except the teeth. LuthorCorp will have to pay soo many dentist bills..
Wait a minute, THE END? Capital?! You...are not implying that is the end of the whole series, right? Cause that would be...absurd. They still have almost six months to live there. They foudn out there's a Superman (and another cave-tribe). Clark has to maintain his cover for the rest of the time (or not). There could more more interactions between the Clarks and Loises. LEx still lives, and its gonna be a contest who will have the honor to change that. Lois and CLark have not really ended their conversation on...things. And so much more.
Summed up, there are still lots of potential lose ends that needs to be dealt with. Plus, this universe is so much fun to play around with. I definitely hope you come back to it and aren't done yet.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mary!
A crowd of on-lookers gathered in the mouth of the cave, but none dared to venture outside. The man in front of Lois didn't even seem to notice them as he looked her over, his face ashen. “Lois! Are you all right? Are you hurt?”
Nice touch how you are referring to “the man” instead of “Clark” in Lois’s POV right now.

to eyes that she had in one breath called “vibrant” and “insipid”.
“dull, insipid mud brown” to be exact.

He swept his gaze over her from head to toe, and Lois suddenly felt warmer. She stared at him, her jaw slack.
Looky there, now she realized that his gaze isn’t just undressing her with his eyes, it’s also warming her when she realizes his attentions.

Hot blood began racing through her veins, and she found her voice again.
CAVE TRIBE: Now we have /holding up four fingers/ of them. We never get sleep now.

“So, were you ever going to tell me that my best friend is really Superman, or were you too busy laughing at me?!”
Waiting for the kids to graduate.

“Oh, God! I said so many things to you...in front of you...about you! You must have been struggling to keep a straight face the whole time!”
At least she didn’t fantasize in detail about what she’d do to Superman in her bed, shower, kitchen, ceiling.

She glared up at him again. “Then when were you going to tell me the truth?!”
After she’s done with Lex. And no longer interested in Superman.

“Wanted to see how far I would go with my crush on Superman?”
No…actually…

“Hello?” She frowned, waving towards the forest and the horizon beyond. “The others? You are going to take me back, right?”
laugh actually, the case seems awfully cozy.
LOLO: No. NO. *NO!*
KAL-EL: /kisses Lolo’s neck/
LOLO: *NO!* NO. No.

She glared at him. “So, what—you think I'm going to start yapping about it to everyone?”

His gaze fell, and his reply was barely audible. “It's a possibility.”
KAL-EL: [Linked Image]
LOLO: [Linked Image]
CAVE PEOPLE: [Linked Image]

Lois refused to acknowledge the warmth now flooding through her. “*If* I can resist the story,” she mimicked. “Wow, you really know how to flatter a woman!”
When you’re in a hole, stop digging.

Are you going to pretend that printing his true identity wouldn't be an easy Pulitzer?”
She might trade it for…physical favors?
LOIS: Don’t be stupid. I don’t need to blackmail Superman if I wanted him in my bed. I could simply black teddy him. And aside from that, if the world knew I get assisted by Superman on my stories, I could lose all the street cred I have right now.

“Do you think I've never buried a story in my life?!”
/points at The Boss/

He blinked at her in genuine surprise. “You still can't tell anyone. None of the others. Not even the people close to you.”
Not even Lex!

Her snort puffed white in front of her. “I do understand the concept of a secret.”
Yes, it’s also spelled ‘challenge’.

“You can't tell Lex.” His gaze hardened again.
I was joking!

Lois sputtered. “You—I—you—!” She stamped for warmth.
“for warmth”. Uh-huh.

You act like he's responsible for half the crime in Metropolis!”
73.45% actually.

But, if Clark was Superman, then why would he be...

“I'm not jealous of Lex,” he said quietly, giving voice to her realization.
Oops?

His eyes narrowed at her. “You know me. And you didn't believe me. And you're dating him.”
Yes, but he’s handsome and congenial and rich and gives her expensive presents…

A hot tear traced down Lois's cheek, freezing by the time it reached her chin. “Just go,” she whispered.
Nicely done!

Her career as an investigator was a joke, Lex was a fake, and Superman...she bit back a sob. “I'll just...stay here. They have food and a fire, so maybe I'll just marry a cave-version of Ralph and live here for the rest of my life.”
rotflol Also, poor dear!

or the terror birds.”

“The terror birds are in South America.”

The sob stuck in her throat, and she turned around to see if he was joking. He looked serious. Lois scrubbed at her cheek and stared at him. “I...I made that last one up...”
[Linked Image]

Her own arms wrapped tightly around his waist, clinging desperately to him. “I don't want to marry Ralph.”

“Nobody wants that, Lois.”
lol

“And I've got yours.” She sniffled. “So, any ideas how we can explain where we've been all this time?”
They could roughen up their hair and shift their clothes a bit and start sharing a tent. People would get the hint sooner or later.

The woman wasn't his Mad Wolf; that much was abundantly clear, and his wife had finally forgiven him for the error after seeing the other Kryptonian.
laugh

The tribe must have fallen upon disastrous times; a small wonder, given the harsh place in which they'd settled.
Yes, they’re…you know…stupid.

one still a smooth-faced youth around Gopher's age,
laugh

All were clad in the strange furs of creatures he had never encountered, and yet they all stared at *him* in shock and astonishment.
Yes, planet’s already taken by a proto-Kryptonian society.

More chatter rippled through the small crowd. The wealthy man's eyes widened, and he copied Kal-El's motion. “Eustace Diggory.”
clap I really thought he’d approach Lex. You’re sneaky!

Dr. Diggory shook his head and grinned. “So, it *was* a Eurasian lion! This explains everything.”
laugh Did Clark actually hear Lois across the sea?

The caveman's head tilted. He removed the lion pelt from his shoulders and held it out to Dr. Carroll.
Wants to bring a treat to Mad Wolf?

Lois snorted. “It better not be a terror bird.”
laugh

A massive, furry carcass landed a short distance away, causing the nearest trees to shake. Kal-El dropped lightly to the ground after it, walked up to Dr. Carroll, and pointed to the can of peaches again.
laugh

“Uh, sure! Peaches for giant, dead mammoth. Here you go. Would you like it gift-wrapped?”
rotflol

and the possible uses of tusks and bones.
They can carve chess pieces from the tusks.

She found Clark staring at her intently, though she couldn't read his expression at all. Maybe he was just trying to warm her up again; after all, what were friends for?
laugh

Cave-Clark. Kal-El. Whoever he was, he was long gone, now. No doubt, he was already back with his wife, feeding her the peaches and telling her all about the weirdos living over the sea.
So, when will she realize that Lolo looks a lot like Lois and what this indicates?

Lois squared her shoulders, ready to face cold reality.

THE END
Hey, I *don’t* want to face THE END. wildguy

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by BlindPassenger
Could there be a numbers error? It says the "strange tribe" has five people waiting there. We have eight visitors, minus Lc that makes six, and each of them is present in the next scene. Or am I missing something?

I meant to reply to this but then forgot, sorry: Kal is counting 5 Hunters plus 1 woman, plus Lois and Clark. His worldview has narrower gender-roles than ours. Hope that clarifies. smile

Also, since it's interesting but unlikely to come up organically in the story, Dr. Diggory's body mass is what makes Kal think of him as the leader. In cultures where food is difficult to come by, having extra weight signals that you have extra resources and/or priority in the distribution system; in other words, the same social status that Lex currently enjoys back in the main universe. :3

~•~
B
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
B
Ah, that makes a lot of sense given his background. ...Although on a second thought, one would assume being married to "Mad Wolf" might have him reconsider his views on these matters...

Hrm yeah, didn't thought about it like that but obviously, this is a logical conclusion from what Kal knows (which, considering this "tribe", is basically nothing). Social expectations among different coltures/time periods can be so interesting to explore cause you usually don't think about stuff like this.

Up, up and away - to the next fanfic.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard